Thursday, April 9, 2009

BEN : It was not so much . . .

It was not so much the falling asleep at the wheel and wrecking my car as it was that my young son was in the back seat at the time. We were both unharmed. And considering the encounter my vehicle had with the concrete running parallel to us, the car was relatively unharmed too. I’m grateful we are all OK.
      By the grace of God, my young son never woke up. To my knowledge he has no recollection of the event. I will never forget the sound of the tires popping and metal scraping that woke me from my inopportune slumber.
      I pulled the car, pulsating between two flat tires and two good tires, into the parking lot of an elementary school. I immediately called my wife who, upon arrival, ensured our child was safe and sound. She then looked at me in that quiet voice and said, “I hope it was worth it.”
      I recently took on an extra project at work. It is one of those projects that when they come, you say yes. They don’t come often, so I gladly embraced the opportunity when it presented itself. What she was referring to was the fact that I had been pushing myself beyond my limits the last two months.
      She had been warning me for weeks; I had simply dismissed her concerns.
      In my usual style, I invested more time and energy than I had to give. I was running on a deficit of sleep, only averaging about three hours a day. As my wife gently picked up our child and carried him over to her car to take him home to finish his afternoon nap in the safety of our home and his bed, it occurred to me that she had been right all along. No project or opportunity was worth this.
      When you talk about becoming all that the One Who whispered me into being wants me to become, I stumble and stutter. I seem to substitute what I do for who I am. It’s strange that as often as I was asked ‘who do I want to be?’ growing up, I never really answered the question. The question I answered was ‘what do I want to do?’
      These are two entirely different questions. One is temporal, pivoting on circumstance; the other is eternal, existing within and beyond time and space.
      In that moment, in that parking lot, I began to know that nothing I did, no title I earned, no project I completed really mattered. I am a husband, father, son, and brother. And to answer my wife’s question, no, it wasn’t worth it.
      So it is in the posture of Lent, with my hands open to let go and to receive, where I hope to find the power of the resurrection in another new beginning. Borrowing from the Benedictine tradition, I will write a Rule for my life, a guide that will help me stay focused on my being and prevent my doing from getting in the way.

4 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Ben,

This so struck a chord in me--a parenting chord, specifically. Because I find myself asking my children (and the children of others) WHAT they want to be when they grow up.

And you are right. To ask WHO they want to be is a completely different question. One I'm going to start asking.

Joanne

robert benson and ben stroup said...

Joanne,

If, as parents, we are able to encourage our children to be rather than obsess with what they do, we will give them the freedom to live, as Robert has said a time or two, with their hands wide open.

And maybe, in our attempt to help our children be, we, too, will find our focus escaping from the work we find ourselves doing and running toward the depth the One Who spoke us into being left us to discover.

Thanks for stopping by. Come again.

Blessings, Ben.

John said...

Ben,

I like this post, alot. I do feel there are times, moments even, when the two questions, temporal and eternal, grasp one another and the being and the doing embrace. They don't compete, but dance. Maybe, just maybe, those are our best moments, where, as Buechner says, our longing and the world's need collide...and the One whispers "Well done."

Grace, always grace,

robert benson and ben stroup said...

John,

I only wish I could call my doing and my being a dance. Most of the time it's a shuffle at best.

Buechner was onto something. To live at the intersection of our longing and the world's need is our very best indeed. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for reading and taking a few moments to share your thoughts.

Blessings, Ben.