Thursday, April 23, 2009

BEN : Can anyone tell me . . . .

Can anyone tell me where to find an Abbot?
      I understand that I can easily find one in the midst of the monastic communities scattered across the globe. It seems to me that this whole Rule business would be much easier if we could just take ourselves, our minds, our fears and lay them before someone who could put the pieces together for us.
      It makes sense for God to endow one individual within every community with the wisdom to lead, direct, and serve the larger community by helping each member understand their role and how their work contributes to a complete ecosystem of ministry, work, and prayer.
      Of all the elements that St. Benedict captured for us in his Rule making, this is not the one to leave out. I can do without all the rules about chewing my food so many times per bite and even a few others, but not this one. The role of the Abbot, who functions as the eye of clarity and the voice of conviction, doesn't seem to translate outside the walls that contain the small communities of people dedicated to each other and the work of prayer.
      For those of us who find our altar in the midst of the ordinary, a world of screaming toddlers, unexpected traffic jams, and unplanned expenses, who or what can we look to that can help us sort through this mess we call the American Dream?

2 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

My first thought was in a Susan Howatch novel--Father Darrow.

Or perhaps someone like Father Tim in the Mitford books. Of course he's a priest, not an abbot.

Other than that? Not sure I know.

But if you find one, be sure to share contact info!

Joanne

robert benson and ben stroup said...

Absolutely!

I tried searching on Google but with no luck. And I know if Google doesn't return any helpful information, I'm not sure there is much hope.

But that certainly doesn't keep me from continuing to try.

Thanks again for stopping by. Please come again.

Blessings, Ben.