Thursday, May 7, 2009

BEN : Fear is a powerful thing . . . .

Fear is a powerful thing. 
      I don’t remember when I first time I experienced fear. I’m just now seeing evidence of fear in my two year old, so I must have been very young when I was afraid for the first time. It was long enough ago that what I’m afraid of has become deeply embedded in who I am, yet fear is not part of the equation of who I want to become.
       Part of this business of making a Rule for our life is outlining our lives as they are today into four quadrants: work; prayer; rest; and community. The order of the catagories is of little concern while the four categories themselves are of paramount significance. Once you’ve divided the things you do in your life into the designated quadrant, you rate how faithful you are to each item as well as identify how important each item is. This helps reveal the contrast between what we are faithful at doing and what we believe to be important. The greater the contrast between the two, the more likely what we are doing is in conflict with what we are called to become.
       As I look at my Rule, the next couple of steps seem to paralyze me. I’m being asked to identify what I’m being drawn to and what do I need to eliminate in order to shape a practice for my life that cultivates who I am being called to be. To be completely honest, I’ve been parked here for weeks.
      The hard part is that nothing I’m doing is bad. Nonetheless, I have to let some things go. I wonder to myself why such a simple task seems so difficult. A friend once told me that discernment is never a choice between good or bad; that’s easy. Rather, discernment is always a choice between two goods.
      While I have sat at these steps for weeks, I have been paying particular attention to the fears that seem to be paralying my ability to continue to move forward. If I were to name them, they would be the fear of being insignificant and the fear of being destitute. Both of these fears are very powerful. I have never been able to name them before, but I’m beginning to understand that these fears are the reason I find it nearly impossible to justify taking anything off the list.
      What if I make the wrong decision? What if I choose the eliminate the one thing that will propel me into all that which I have been called to be? What if I make a decision and end up in a place that is unfamiliar or worse — unsatisfying?
      It seems irrational, which is probably true of most fear. Fear is grounded in perception and emotion; therefore, it must be irrational. The catch is that if I separate my emotions from my rational thinking, I separate myself and will surely leave out something important. A Rule is meant to bring our lives in balance not give us another reason to ignore ourselves so that we might then embody the expectations of others.
      I don’t remember the first time I experienced fear, but I know that fear is the silent barrier between the person I am today and who I am being called to become.

4 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Discernment is a choice between two good things--I'll be quoting you on that one!

robert benson and ben stroup said...

I quote my friend quite often, even to myself.

Thanks for stopping by and joining our conversation.

Blessings, Ben.

Gretchen said...

It's been amazing to me that my Rule-making, which started out on the level of a time-management problem, has quickly become a faith-building exercise, making me face all kinds of fears. Maybe that's automatically part of the process. Thanks for sharing your experience!

robert benson and ben stroup said...

Thanks for your encouragement.

It's amazing to me how this practice shifts our perspective. I wonder if the power is in the Rule-making itself or in our ability to pay closer attention to the One Who is calling us and to those people who have been given to us and to whom we have been given.

So glad you stopped by. I enjoyed the conversation. Please do so again soon.

Blessings, Ben.